One-to-One training or being part of a small group is the best way to learn the techniques to enable you to tell a compelling story with a DSLR or Mirrorless* camera. You will have every question answered, any shooting scenario clearly explained. Using informative composition, making the best use of available light when combined with a perfect mix of shots and clean audio, combine to create engaging video stories.
You will learn so much more doing two or three solid days of one-to-one training than you could ever learn signing onto an online course or a once-a-week workshop. Message for a quote or call 0418 169 955 to discuss your particular requirements. PDV Digital Cinema is based in North Sydney however training can be arranged in other centres.
Pieter’s unique training teaches both technical and creative facets of video photography. Participants quickly gain control over the camera settings, freeing them to explore creative aspects of shooting, knowing that they are always getting the best possible video and audio.
Cinematographer, photographer and certified trainer Pieter de Vries ACS is a master in the use of DSLR and Mirrorless cameras for video production. He will pass on a wealth of knowledge and story ideas gleaned from years of shooting award-winning international productions in more than one hundred and eighty countries and territories.
He uses the latest DSLR and Mirrorless cameras to demonstrate brilliant shooting techniques and clarifies the language of film and video. The course also includes a location shoot in the surrounding North Sydney area and along the way you’ll be using some of the latest video tools and toys. Please visit the Training Gallery for images of the venue and the beautiful surrounds of North Sydney
Once you understand the limitations of using a stills camera to shoot video, you are clear to explore the stunning image quality. Pieter’s unique training teaches you both technical and creative facets of video photography. Participants quickly gain control over the camera settings, freeing them to explore creative aspects of shooting, knowing that they are always getting the best possible video and audio. Topics include:
SHOOTING WITH THE MANUAL SETTINGS
• Adapting to the DSLR/Mirrorless form
• Using an external monitor
• Setting exposure using waveforms & zebras
• Adjusting the colour balance
• Neutral Density filters to avoid shutter traps
• Recording formats, codecs, frame & data rates
• Editing export settings for YouTube & Social Media
• Shooting with gimbals, sliders, dollies & jibs
• Follow-focus techniques using telephoto lenses
• How to correctly use a tripod & fluid head
• Following action – handheld, tripod & monopod
• Time-lapse & Slow-Motion cinematography
• DSLR/Mi audio workarounds
• Recording clear & clean audio
Story-telling plays a key role in this training. Regardless of whether you shoot with a DSLR or a Mirrorless camera, defining the story can often take a back seat to the camera’s stunning image quality. Few have an emotional response to high image resolution. Topics include:
SHOOTING WITH THE EDIT IN MIND
• Capturing the mix of shots for an easy edit
• Dynamic camera angles to improve coverage
• Using the 16:9 frame for informative composition
• Shooting techniques to give you editing options
USING LIGHTS AND NATURAL LIGHT
• How to use the available light
• Modifying the output of lights
• Warming & cooling light
• Advanced lighting ideas for shooting interviews