THE CAMERA, THE STORY, THE LIGHT. These are core elements of this training, structured for anyone who wants to extend their creativity and take their video camera knowledge beyond menus, buttons and dials.
One-to-One gives you the opportunity to have every question answered, any shooting scenario explained. How much time you’ll need will depend on your experience, what you’d like achieve and the time you have available. Best of all, you’ll get to choose the dates that suit you.
Message for a quote or call 0418 169 955 to discuss your particular requirements. PDV Digital Cinema is based in North Sydney, however training can be arranged in other centres. Online training sessions are also available.
Pieter’s exclusive camera training covers both technical and creative aspects of video photography. You will gain full control over the camera settings, freeing you to explore all the amazing creative aspects of cinematography, knowing that you are always getting the best possible images and audio.
Cinematographer, photographer and certified trainer Pieter de Vries ACS will pass on a wealth of knowledge gleaned from years of shooting award-winning international productions. He uses DSLR, Mirrorless and Video cameras to demonstrate brilliant shooting techniques.
The training also includes location shoots in the surrounding North Sydney area and along the way you'll be using some of the latest video tools and toys. Please visit the Training Gallery for images of the venue, the nearby streets and the stunning harbour views
Video camera, DSLR or Mirrorless. When you take control of the cameras' settings, you take control of the story. Pieter’s unique training teaches you both the technical and creative sides of video photography. You will gain control over the camera settings, freeing you to explore creative side of cinematography. Topics covered include:
SAYING GOODBYE TO AUTO
• Setting exposure using zebras
• Adjusting the colour balance
• Neutral Density filters - correct shutter speeds
• Explain record formats, codecs, frame & data rates
• Shooting with gimbals, sliders, dollies & jibs
• Techniques to streamline your shooting
• Following action - follow-focus handheld & tripod
• Time-lapse & Slow-Motion cinematography
• Audio - recording clean sound
Recording video stories plays a key role in the training. Regardless of whether you shoot with a DSLR, Mirrorless or Video camera, defining that story with a camera requires you to think both technically and creatively. Topics include:
SHOOTING WITH THE EDIT IN MIND
• Capturing the mix of shots for an easy edit
• Quickly finding dynamic camera angles
• Using the 16:9 frame for informative composition
• Shooting techniques to give you editing options
USING LIGHTS AND THE AVAILABLE LIGHT
• How to use natural light
• Modifying the output of lights
• Warming and cooling light
• Advanced lighting ideas for shooting interviews